Robert Herjavec knows a few things about running a small business – having grown his own internet security firm from only 3 employees to over 220 since 2003. One of the investors on ABC’s hit show Shark Tank, Herjavec has learned that one of the best lessons to be learned about small business marketing is that sometimes, you may not know all the answers – and that’s okay. In an article published recently on Entrepeneur.com, he said,
Herjavec has started a video series called “Behind the Business”, focusing on his work with the companies he’s invested in on the show, but he shared with Entrepeneur some of his top small-business marketing tips relating to customer engagement and interaction:
1. Target your customers where they hang out on social media – Having accounts across social media is a good thing for a small business, but the key is to focus your efforts on where your customers interact. If your demographic doesn’t use platforms like Snapchat or Instagram, they may not be as important as Facebook or LinkedIn.
2. Take your business online – Don’t be afraid to sell your products or services online, and if you’re able to have an online storefront – make sure it’s user friendly. In some cases, it can even help to streamline your own business or ordering systems.
3. Aesthetics and imagery are important – People are drawn to eye-catching photography or graphics. If you want customers to be engaged with your brand, you need to elicit an emotional response – and visuals are the easiest way to do so, whether you are creating a marketing campaign piece, a website, or a storefront display.
4. Market to your customers the way they want to be marketed to – Along the same lines as #1 on this list, but with broader applications – if your customers don’t want to be bombarded with Facebook posts, but respond well to a personalized mailpiece, then you should be focusing your efforts accordingly. Pay attention to how your customers respond to your marketing strategies to learn what works best for your business.
5. Consult with an expert, so you can get back to business – Entrusting your marketing needs to someone with experience allows you to focus on your business. Navigating the waters of advertising and marketing as a small business owner can be overwhelming, but when you have a marketing partner at your side, you’re much better equipped. As Herjavec said, “It’s crucial that you focus your energy as a small-business owner on the core reason you started up in the first place. You wanted to take on the world with the product or service you had, that did something better than anybody else. And that was what you were passionate about….”
Part of our focus at AlphaGraphics Carmel has always been being a marketing communications partner for small businesses in the Indianapolis area. We know print, mail, marketing, design and signage – so you don’t have to. We’re here to make it easy for you to get back to work while still being able to grow your business. If you have questions, feel free to stop by our website, give us a call, or email us at email@example.com!