Choosing a font can be an overwhelming task. The possibilities are endless. Some designers choose a font to match the personality of the project they are working on. Others have a favorite they use on just about everything they design.
Fonts are key to communicating the feel and personality of a brand. Being consistent will enhance your professionalism. Select versatile fonts that can be viewed consistently on any platform and are complementary to your logo or other branded materials.
While there are fonts that seem to be loved by many, there are also a few that have are a little less-liked. Google “I hate Comic Sans” and you will get 3.4 million results. What did Vincent Connare, the creator of Comic Sans, ever do to deserve all the hate? Maybe you secretly love Comic Sans. No judgment here! Every font has its place. Even Comic Sans. When choosing one, it’s best to put your personal opinions aside and select the typeface that best fits your standards or the overall goal of the project.
5 tips for choosing the best font for your project:
- Define your goal. Determine if you need something expressive and stylish or useful and appropriate. Pick the font that will best help you express the right message to reach your goal.
- Know your fonts. Fonts are traditionally divided into two main categories: Serif (have little feet at the ends of the letterforms) and Sans-Serif (more rounded fonts). There are also several sub-categories (modern, geometric, handwriting, etc.).
- Use general principles of design. Font matching and contrast are great ways to add style, character, and interest in a design, even when sticking to single font family.
- Don’t overdo it. If you choose a stylish or decorative font to make your statement, remember that a little can go a long way. Use it to accent the page, not overwhelm it.
- Quality over quantity. The internet has made the vast quantity of available fonts a challenge for the nonconformist. Just because they are out there doesn’t mean they are right to use. There is no substitute for the quality of a good font.
After you’ve selected your fonts and designed a piece you are proud of, AlphaGraphics is here to help you take it to the finish line. Packaging your fonts into your print file, while following copyright laws, will ensure a finished piece that matches your proof. If you are ever in doubt when selecting a new font and how it will appear in print, feel free to contact us with questions. We are here to help.