Nothing can add more impact to a promotion than an attractive banner and nothing can be less effective than a poorly displayed one. For best results follow the banner instructions below.
Banner installation happens using one of three methods: Stringing between two poles, directly mounting to a flat surface, or a combination of both.
String Banners Between Two Poles
When doing banner installation between two poles, the main objective is to prevent an undue amount of stress on anyone’s grommet hole. The best way to accomplish this is to hang the banner using bungee cords. Bungee cords will stretch with the banner allowing wind to pass around the sides of the banner. Bungee cords also make the installation of your banner easier.
* If you must use a rope to hang your banner, follow these rules.
- Determine how much rope is needed to tie off the banner. Be sure to give yourself a little extra length. If necessary, it can be trimmed later.
- Weave the rope through the grommet holes from left to right (see diagram). Do this for both the top and bottom of the banner.
- Tie the top corners straight out and tight from the sides. Be sure the banner is centered and level before tying off the right side.
- Tie the bottom corners at about a 15-degree angle down from the bottom edge of the banner leaving a slight amount of play in the rope. This will allow the air to escape out of the bottom of the banner.
If the banner will be hung where it will be exposed to high winds (ie. between two street poles), wind slits must be cut into the banner to allow air to pass through the banner. AlphaGraphics can cut these wind slits for you when they are making the banner, or you can cut them yourself. A typical wind slit is a “smiley face” half circle, about 2” to 3” in diameter. They should be spaced about 12” to 18” apart. See the diagram above. Be sure not to cut slits through your graphics.
Banner Wall Installation (”Screw & Washer” Method)
If the banner installation is to be directly onto a wall, install it by driving screws through the grommet holes and into the wall.
- Determine where you want the banner to be positioned.
- Secure the top-left corner of the banner first.
- Continue securing the banner across the top at each grommet hole, from left to right, making sure the banner is level.
- Secure the bottom grommets from left to right
CAUTION: When installing a banner directly onto a building, be careful because screws will leave permanent holes in the wall. Some surfaces may also require special fasteners to prevent the screws from pulling out. Before drilling, be sure to obtain landlord or property owner approval. If you have any doubts about installing a banner directly to a wall, refer the installation to a professional sign installer.
CITY ORDINANCES AND LANDLORD RESTRICTIONS: Before a banner installation, investigate local sign ordinances, and ask your landlord if any restrictions apply to displaying banners, If necessary, apply for permits at the city code enforcement department. AlphaGraphics is not responsible for ensuring that your banner complies with city sign ordinances.
STORAGE AND MAINTENANCE: Banners should always be stored rolled up, with the lettering and graphics to the outside. A banner should never be folded, as doing so may cause damage to the graphics, breaking, cracking and if vinyl is applied they could be pulled away. If your banner becomes dirty, it can be cleaned with a soap and water mixture. Do not use any cleaning product that contains ammonia.
EXPECTATIONS: While a banner is an excellent promotional sign, it is not a substitute for a permanent sign! Since banners may be subject to extreme environmental conditions, we cannot be responsible for damage that might be done to the banner (or caused by the banner) while in use. We cannot be responsible for banner installations done by others.
(click the picture below to download the pdf)
AlphaGraphics is your local custom sign company dedicated to quality service and design. As always, if you have any questions regarding your banner installation, sign design, vinyl signs and graphics, banner printing or wayfinding sign project, don’t hesitate to contact us online or give us a call at (919) 832-2828. Our experienced team is standing by and ready to help with any of your signage needs in Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Garner or Apex area.